Good morning, and happy 2023! Hope everyone is enjoying a great New Year’s weekend.
Now then: The Lions wore their no-frills throwbacks yesterday (lots of additional photos here). But what really interests me about that photo shown above is that defensive lineman John Cominsky had “EMC” inscribed on his cast. Assuming Cominsky isn’t an Einstein fan, what was that about? Turns out that the letters are the initials of his baby daughter, Emersyn Mae Caminsky.
Although I wasn’t aware of it until now, this isn’t a new thing for Caminsky. During several other recent games, he’s had “BNC” on the cast, which I believe is for his wife, Brittany Cominsky. And he’s mentioned on Instagram that he wears his family’s initials on his wrist.
In other news from around the league yesterday:
- The Panthers wore their blue alternate jerseys and paired them with silver pants. It’s the first time they’ve worn that jersey/pants combo since 2017 (the blue jerseys have instead been paired with white pants or black pants in the intervening years), and the first time they’ve ever added blue socks to that combo in a regular season game (instead of black socks, as they’ve worn in the past).
- From that same game: I’ve recently written about how Panthers players Frankie Luvu and Henry Anderson have both modified the shoulder stripes on their white and black jerseys. But yesterday was Carolina’s first time this season wearing the blue jerseys, so did Luvu and Anderson modify their stripes again? Yup:
- The Ravens wore their mono-black alternates:
- Just a brutal-looking game in Atlanta, where the Falcons went mono-black against the Cardinals:
- The Seahawks wore their grey alternate pants:
- Jets linebacker CJ Mosley had “All or Nothing” written on his eye black prior to the game:
- The Commies for some reason waited until the next-to-last game of the season to introduce a new costumed mascot, named Major Tuddy. His uniform is based on the franchise’s 1980s-’90s design, which seems like a tacit admission that the team’s current uniform isn’t very good. And in what may be the most absurd bit of “storytelling” ever, his double-zero uni number is supposedly meant to mimic a pig’s nostrils (additional info here and here).
The Washington Commanders introduced their new mascot today, Major TUDDY 🐷pic.twitter.com/2g6ILXUHWc
— OutKick (@Outkick) January 1, 2023
- Only one home team wore white: the Bucs.
As for tonight: Should be a fairly straightforward-looking game between the Bills and Bengals.
(My thanks to all contributors, including Gabe Cornwall, Moe Khan, Scott Trembly, Nicholas Walz, and everyone on Twitter who helped fill me on John Cominsky’s family initials.)
By the end of May, I’d done it, and Uni Watch was born. It’s still the only New Year’s resolution I’ve ever made, but it was a good one.
Meanwhile: Sorry, no Ticker today, as the whole Uni Watch crew had the day off yesterday. Thanks for understanding, and enjoy the Winter Classic! — Paul