Good Sunday Morning, Uni Watchers. Time for the third edition of the Sunday Morning Uni Watch.
Before I go any further, I want to let everyone know that long-time reader and contributor Wade Heidt, who has for the past couple years been adding Canadian University uni tracking in the comments, has now joined the SMUW team and will be bringing you his Canadian Uni Watching for the remainder of the season! Please join me in welcoming Wade aboard. Following Terry’s section, Wade will introduce himself and then bring you his uni-observations.
After beginning the season 0-2 (with losses to Ohio State and Marshall), the Notre Dame Fighting Irish needed to change their luck. And what better way to do that than to break out the (lucky) green jerseys against Cal. It worked. The (green jersey) luck of the Irish returned. Can it possibly be the laundry?
Well, dating back to 1983, the Irish are 9-6 in jerseys with any sort of green on them. But they won their last four games when a green jersey was worn prior to today, so this makes a five-game win streak. You can check out their green jersey W-L and more here.
While I like Notre Dame in the occasional green jersey, I’m not a fan of this particular one, especially since the team wears blue numbers outlined in gold, and the contrast is not great.
I’d much prefer the team wear green jerseys with white numbers.
And with that, I’m going to now turn this over to TJ who will bring you today’s SMUW, and keep reading after that as Wade does some Canadian uni watching. Here’s TJ with your…
by Terry Duroncelet, Jr.
Week 3 proved to be one of those chill type of weeks uni-wise, so grab your favorite LoFi radio station on your preferred streaming platform, and let’s dive right in.
• Florida State in an all-white look against Louisville. Know what? I don’t hate it.
• Oregon/BYU: Oregon is dedicating this entire season to Ducks TE Spencer Webb, who passed away in July of this year following a rock climbing accident. You’ll note how Oregon is honoring him with a decal featuring the #4, despite his wearing of #18 during what would prove to be his final season last year. He had plans to switch his jersey number to #4 for the 2022 season, and wore it in the Ducks’ Spring scrimmage. They also have the 4-yard hash marks on either side highlighted in yellow in his memory (you can kinda see it here). Lastly, BYU OL Kingsley Suamataia –a transfer from Oregon– came out onto the field with an Oregon flag bearing Webb’s #18 in honor of his former teammate.
• Baylor/Texas State: I didn’t take any pics like a DOOFUS, but Bobcats OL Kyle Hergel wears a rather Cybertronian facemask (not from the game, but should suffice for our purposes).
• Georgia Tech/Ole Miss: All-white togs for Ole Miss. One of the better full-white unis in college football, if you ask me.
• Wisconsin/New Mexico State: Mono-red for the Badgers, as well as some number and script decals for NM State.
• Kansas State/Tulane: Good looks from both teams, with Tulane’s light blue/white/light blue, and K-State’s cool helmets (Real Tom & Jerry Hours only, WHO UP). Speaking of which, these newer helmets channel some serious cryptid energy.
• Tulsa/Jacksonville State: Flag logo decals for Tulsa against Jax State.
• UCLA/South Alabama: The Jaguars did their best Bruins impression with their script helmets that said “South” on Saturday (closer look). I like ’em!
• A squad with the team name ‘Tigers’ that plays in the SEC and has gold as one of their school colors wore white at home, with gold helmets and gold pants against Abilene Christian. Totally standard fare. (closer look at the helmet, with thanks to Blaise D’Sylva)
• West Virginia/Towson: Contrast Matters: Thank Hell for Dark Pants and Lids Edition. Yuck.
• Memphis/Arkansas State: I’M GOING TO EAT GLASS.
• Coastal Carolina/Buffalo: White at home for the Chanticleers.
• Virginia/Old Dominion: ODU has some perfectly-cromulent uniforms, but this white/white/light blue is easily their best (road) combo.
• Utah/SDSU: Utah wore their black Ute Proud helmets against San Diego State, but this time with a red facemask (another look).
• Clemson/LA Tech: Ella Bresee –Clemson DT Bryan Bresee’s sister– was diagnosed with cancer, and has since passed away. In the wake of these unfortunate events, the Tigers have adopted the rally cry “E11a Strong” (#11 is Bryan Bresee’s jersey number). In yesterday’s game, LA Tech head coach Sonny Cumbie wore a T-shirt honoring Ella.
• LSU/Miss. State: No caption needed.
Not only did Notre Dame go green, they included NOB which is usually just for bowl games
I suspect that was a late change. Normally, when Notre Dame puts the names on their football jerseys, Under Armour screen-prints them on using the official font. These were tackle-twill letters sewn onto nameplates.
I think the Kansas State QB gave us our first look at the new Riddell Axiom helmet without the built in visor.
Love Canadian University Uni Watch!
Imagine putting decals on that Texas State Vicis helmet. Would love to see a video of how Michigan or one of many other schools would handle it.
“While I like Notre Dame in the occasional green jersey, I’m not a fan of this particular one, especially since the team wears blue numbers outlined in gold, and the contrast is not great.”
Well said, Phil.
Great work as always TJ!
I like Wisconsin going white/red/red. Hope they stick with it.
Welcome aboard, Wade!
“Of course, the goal posts on the goal line as we do it in Canada.”
Ah…if only we did that here!
Thank Jim! Was time we finally made it happen. I thank you for the nomination!
Love the goal posts on goal line but sometimes they create heartbreak. When the QB hits the post with a pass and takes away potential TD. Cody Fajardo with Riders in recent West Final. Part of the different skill set you need to hone as QB playing Canadian game.
I like how the Concordia logo is sized so that the inside are of the “C” fits perfectly around the soccer kickoff circle.
Also, give me more football play-by-play in French. I don’t understand it but I like the excitement of the announcers after a “Touché!”
Great stuff from Wade. As a former U of Windsor Lancer, this is much appreciated.
Thanks! Can’t do every school every week. Will have a look at the Lancers in near future.
I’m late to the party, but welcome aboard, Wade!
Thanks partner !
Said it yesterday on twitter and I’ll say it here today: that should be Notre Dame’s permanent uniforms (complete with NOB). You can make the block number bigger and give it a thicker gold outline if you feel there isn’t enough contrast. But that’s a beautiful uniform.
LOVE the Canadian content from Wade, as a CFL fan, I’ve always appreciated his contributions