When the 2022 NFL schedule was announced, sharp-eyed observers noted that the Steelers would be hosting the Raiders on Dec. 24 — 50 years, almost to the day, after those same two teams figured in the famed Immaculate Reception, which took place on Dec. 23, 1972. I figured the Steelers would probably wear their block-numbered throwbacks for that game, although a team spokesman declined comment on that when I asked him about it.
It turns out that they’re doing that and more. The Steelers today announced three uni-related initiatives for that December game against the Raiders:
- They will indeed wear the block-numbered throwbacks.
- The throwback jerseys will carry a commemorative patch (shown in the photo above), featuring a silhouetted image of Franco Harris scooping up the Immaculate Reception.
- They will retire Harris’s No. 32 (which I’m surprised they hadn’t done already).
I’ve added all of this to my 2022 NFL Season Preview, which was published on Bulletin earlier today. My Premium Subscribers can read the NFL Preview here. If you haven’t yet subscribed, you now have three ways to get on board:
- You can subscribe to Bulletin via Facebook.
- You can contact me for for info on how to receive my Bulletin articles via a non-Facebook email workaround.
- You can sign up for our bundle of Bulletin via email and Uni Watch Plus. (Missed last week’s info about UW+? Look here.)