Today, we’ve got two new arena names in Arizona, a new uni set for a major junior hockey team, and a video game/uni collaboration in Korea.
- The Rockies’ schedule release also gave us a look at the 30th anniversary logo that will be in use next year. No word on whether it will be worn as a uni patch or not. (From Andrew Lacy)
- Blue Jays OF Teoscar Hernández has been wearing blue 2-in-1s lately, but last night he wore red 2-in-1s. (From Matt Cimetti)
- The Giants have started selling merch with the city’s “San Fran” nickname, famously hated by San Franciscans. (From multiple readers)
- The Cubs used the theme from the CTA map signs posted posted in el-trains to announce their 2023 schedule. (From Robert Turning)
- The Mets used the old Marlins logo for their schedule announcement. (From multiple readers)
- The El Paso Chihuahuas, Triple-A affiliates of the Padres, will wear one-off unis in collaboration with Cheese-Flavored Snack Brand We Won’t Put Here on September 3. The jerseys will, of course, be made to look like the packaging of said Cheese-Flavored Snack Brand. (Thanks, Phil)
- The NC Dinos of the KBO League have unveiled special one-off unis in collaboration with the massively multiplayer video game Throne and Liberty, which is hugely popular in Korea. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- The Dolphins are handing out an orange jersey to whomever had the best showing in the previous practice. (Thanks, Paul)
- With college football (Week 0) kicking off this weekend, here’s a look at all the new uniforms and helmets so far this year. (Thanks, Phil)
- Navy OL Kip Frankland is wearing No. 68 this season in honor of David Forney, another Navy lineman who died suddenly 2020. (Thanks, Jamie)
- New uni set for Louisiana-Monroe. (From Matthew Petit)
- New uni set for SUNY-Brockport.
- Here’s a cement mixing truck carrying the Calgary Stampeders’ logo and with the cement mixer painted like a football! (From @PhillyPartTwo)
- It looks like Fanatics accidentally leaked the basic designs for this year’s Reverse Retro unis. Some notable ones: the return of the Pooh Bear for the Bruins, the return of RoboPen for the Penguins, a “Sharks” wordmark rendered in the California Golden Seals’ typeface, and the return of the Gorton’s Fisherman for the Islanders. (Thanks, Phil)
- Arizona State University has announced that their new multipurpose arena — where the Coyotes are playing this year — will be named “Mullett Arena” in honor of the Mullett family, major donors to ASU’s hockey program. In a related note, the Coyotes old arena has a new corporate name as well. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Chicago hockey team has announced uniform numbers for their newcomers. (Thanks, Phil)
- Whenever Heat PF Udonis Haslem decides to retire, the team will retire his No. 40. The Miami native is now the longest-tenured active player in the NBA, and has played all 20 seasons with the Heat.
- New shirts for Nicaraguan club Cacique Diriangén. (From Ed Zelaski)
- New logo for Rolling Stone magazine, thumbing its nose at the flat design trend.
Give the Gift of Uni Watch!
This holiday season, I hope you’ll consider getting a Uni Watch Plus subscription or a Uni Watch Premium subscription — or both! — for a friend, family member, or colleague who Gets It™. In addition to spreading the gospel of athletics aesthetics, you’ll also be helping out Uni Watch, which depends on reader support. Think how much fun it’ll be to have someone else in your life who you can talk about Uni Watch with!