Included in today’s Ticker: The military considers allowing service members to grow beards, the potential return of an iconic ’90s NBA jersey and a dark development in the world of minor league theme nights.
- The Mets are giving away a Mets/New York Knicks mash-up T-shirt as part of an Aug. 30 ticket package. Paul notes that it “looks like a kid threw it together in ~15 seconds.”
- This 1993 book, Baseball I Gave You All the Best Years of My Life, has a fun cover that includes collaged marked-over baseball cards that riff on player name puns. (From Daniel Shank Cruz)
- The Oklahoma City Dodgers, the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and the Frisco RoughRiders will all hold theme nights centered around the Fox TV show Monarch on Aug. 23. According to the ad copy tweeted out by all three teams, they’ll “wear custom jerseys” and fans will get show-themed “giveaways.” Is this the first time we’ve seen a corporation use minor league baseball theme nights as targeted, market-driven advertising rather than just IP fan service?
- This blog explores a fan’s trip to a 49ers preseason game to hunt for obscure jerseys. (From Colton Denning)
- Utah State will wear new all-white uniforms in their home opener against UConn on Saturday. (From @akaggie)
- New BFBS jerseys and white helmets for Minnesota. (From Ben Hagen and Mike Quigley)
- This week’s episode of the ESPN Plus series Eli’s Places finds Eli Manning exploring the best uni numbers in college football, such as No. 55 at USC (Seau, McGinnest, etc.), No. 3 at Notre Dame (Montana, Mirer, Powlus), No. 44 at Syracuse (Brown, Davis, Little), and so on. The episode will debut tomorrow, and you can see preview clips here and here.
- NCA&T just introduced new football jerseys with player NOB for the first time ever. (From Jay)
- View lots of football-themed artwork over at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Portait Gallery. (From Max Weintraub)
- The Suns are teasing the return of the ’90s-era purple sun-streak jerseys. (From Phil)
- Speaking of, here is every Suns’ 2022-23 jersey that has reportedly leaked ahead of the official unveilings. (Also from Phil)
- Repost from Baseball: The New York Mets are giving away a Knicks/Mets mash-up T-shirt as part of an Aug. 30 ticket package. Paul notes that it “looks like a kid threw it together in ~15 seconds.”
- A pair of Michael Jordan’s autographed sneakers that he wore as a freshman as part of North Carolina’s 1981-82 championship team are currently up for auction. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to school’s basketball program. (From James Gilbert)
- A construction company in New York state is poaching the old Panthers’ logo. (From Brad Loliger)
- Scotland: Nairn County FC’s new third shirts support a local charity. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- France: Fans of Ligue 1 club Lyon are protesting the club’s decision to dress players in a green colorway of an Adidas soccer boot. Green is the color of Lyon’s arch-rival, St-Etienne. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Portugal: You know you’re a Uni Watcher if the first thing you noticed in this video of a bonkers goal celebration by Portimonense F Yago Cariello is that the Y in his NOB is peeling off. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
- Ukraine: New kit set for FC Lviv. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Turkey: This story reveals why Adana Demirspor striker Mario Balotelli wears No. 45.
- Saudi Arabia: New logo and kits for Al Hilal SFC. (From Ed Zelaski)
- New number assignments for Vero Volley Monza, an Italian women’s volleyball club. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- A recently-constructed concert venue across the river from Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky announced yesterday that it has sold its naming rights to a company called MegaCorp Logistics. The venue’s new name sounds like something out of a bad comic book.
- The Air Force and Space Force are discussing instituting a pilot program that would allow their service members to grow beards. (From Timmy Donahue)
- Update from week 11 of the Premier Lacrosse League: Redwoods wore mono-green, while their opponent, Chrome, wore gradient uniforms. Archers and Waterdogs went color-on-color, Whips and Cannons kept it traditional, and Atlas went blue/white/blue against Chaos in all black. (From Jared Buccola)
Give the Gift of Uni Watch!
This holiday season, I hope you’ll consider getting a Uni Watch Plus subscription or a Uni Watch Premium subscription — or both! — for a friend, family member, or colleague who Gets It™. In addition to spreading the gospel of athletics aesthetics, you’ll also be helping out Uni Watch, which depends on reader support. Think how much fun it’ll be to have someone else in your life who you can talk about Uni Watch with!