I was living in Dallas in the spring of 1972, so I have a special regard for the original Texas Rangers logo. The cowboy hat on the ball, the little sheriff’s badge in the R, all that. So when I came across this Rangers item, I did a double-take. Normally, the team name was centered across the ball. However, with this Rangers pennant, they weren’t quite able to pull that off, leaving the ball mostly blank! The seller also notes “has stains, not sure if they’ll come out,” but it might be worth it for this unique design.
Now for the rest of this week’s picks:
- This is a 1969 print ad for a Chiquita Banana NFL AM radio. I have one of my own sitting right here. A little scratchy when you turn it on, but it still works!
- “Mr. Donut” was the sponsor for this 1970s hockey-themed mug for Stan Roberts in the Morning on WGR 55 in Buffalo. It’s a “Stan-ley Cup,” get it?
- Will you please look at the condition of these 1960s NHL bobbleheads! You get one each for the Canadiens, the Maple Leafs, and the Red Wings.
- This early-1970s Cincinnati Reds keychain plays “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.”
- Jantzen had some type of marketing deal with the NFL in the 1960s, as evidenced by this navy blue Jantzen sweater from their eXpandables line. No team or league branding.
- Terrific old-time Green Bay Packers logo on this 1960s drink coaster.
- This vintage 1960s Pendleton Dallas Cowboys stadium blanket features their original “ride ’em cowboy” logo.
- Here’s a vintage New York Football Giants drinking glass with that great “quarterback” logo.
- Couple of Buffalo Bills items here: This late-1960s bobble is in perfect shape, and so is this 1960s bank from the Western Savings Bank of Buffalo.
- Here’s a 1981 Sears print ad letting you know that they were the place to shop in South Florida for kids’ NFL merch.
Speaking of Florida, I hope all Uni Watch fans in the state stay safe this week from Hurricane Ian!
That’ll do it for this edition of CC. See you back here next week!
Fantastic stuff as always, Brinke. Thanks again.
That Chiquita Banana Radio is MASSIVELY disappointing.
I was expecting much more banana.
I agree. As a former member of the sousaphone section of the OSUMB, whose own mascot is Chiquita banana that’s says “Beat Blue” on it, I came here very excited for a Chiquita banana radio!
New York Football Giants — groan. Enough already. Can we bury this along with the “PLAYOFFS????” and “PRACTICE????” tedia? Can we “thrown them under the bus”? Thank you.
Believe it or not (I was surprised by it myself), the Giants actually use that phrasing — “New York Football Giants” — on their current business cards, letterhead, etc. So it’s not just slang or a convention — it’s literally what the team calls itself!
Well I’ll be.
Thanks for the info, Paul. I should known better than to tangle with the masters.
I mean know, not known.
I should thrown myself under the bus. It’s throw, not thrown.