By Phil Hecken
Week 12 came and went, and there were still a few new
uniforms costumes and surprises, even at this late stage of the season. Notre Dame went mono-green, FSU finally broke out their BFBS numbers, Clemson went all-purple (as is their wont), BC had a gorgeous throwback, the boys from Virginia Tech had a special all-black uni to bid farewell to Frank Beamer at Lane — even aTm had a new costume. And of course, there were a couple of surprises.
There was a bit of technical difficulty with the UW dashboard last evening, so I wasn’t even sure there would BE a post today, but it looks like everything is OK for now.
With a rundown of yesterday’s action, I’ll now turn it over to my SMUW main dude — Terry Duroncelet. So here’s TJ with your…
Sunday Morning Uni Watch
By Terry Duroncelet
Fairly slow week, which is appropriate, given the sudden chill. It’s interesting how a little cold can really get you in that autumn years sort of mood.
• Virginia Tech wore all-black in honor of Frank Beamer’s final home game as the VT head coach. Personally, I think there are better ways to honor a coach as decorated as Beamer than lame BFBS togs, but whatever floats your boat. At least these are better than the things they wore the last time they went BFBS. Also in that same game, UNC wore all-white, and Tar Heels WR Mack Hollins wore a SANDMAN NOB in Beamer’s honor.
• Clemson wore mono-purple for Military Appreciation Day. Better than most military “tributes” that I’ve seen.
• Case in-point.
• Speaking of THE, they wore their playoff uniforms (which are basically throwbacks) against Michigan State, who wore their bronze helmets with their regular road whites. Both teams wore “Chad Strong” decals on the back of their helmets. JB Johnson spotted Robert Craft wearing a Pat Patriot hat on the sidelines.
• Hard to see, but Minnesota’s scoreboard apparently uses their specific number font (h/t to Dustin K.). Also, history repeats itself. Keep in mind that it was supposedly 20 °F in Minneapolis yesterday in regards to the latter pic.
• I don’t know what Louisiana-Lafayette was wearing yesterday, and I’m not sure I want to find out.
• Rutgers wore S&S decals against Army.
• Utah State wore camo decals.
• GG, Maryland.
• Well, it took what feels like a century, but Florida State finally wore their black alts against Chattanooga.
• Interesting note about Bethune-Cookman: they wore mono-gold uniforms against FAMU. But more on that in a second. They also unveiled these logos yesterday on Twitter. Some of those marks look awfully familiar. Interestingly enough, the BCU Twitter mod was experiencing some “technical difficulties” and miraculously, that exact tweet disappeared. But back to the uniforms. These were worn the same week as the Colon Flush uniforms that the Jacksonville Jaguars wore. Purely coincidental, and never mind the fact that those are clearly not Russell uniforms (that template doesn’t exist in their catalog, and there are no maker’s marks), but you know, semantics, details.
• Rare HarBro sighting. Credit to Brinke Guthrie for the pic and the one-liner.
• Interesting that both Notre Dame and Boston College are outfitted by Under Armour AND are both private, Catholic schools. Looks like the Fighting Irish channeled their inner logo during the game (minus the gold shoes). Notre Dame, the only living entities that are somehow able to emit a stronger green glow with gold domes than Broly. I did enjoy the striped numbers, however. Also, Boston College wore some really rad throwbacks (even though most of them didn’t wear the striped compression shirts that go with them). Also-also, the ND coaching staff wore green trou.
That’ll do it for Week 12. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I’ll see you next week.
Thanks, TJ. Now onto the rest of the SMUW…
NCAA Uni Tracking
Back again today with our new feature: NCAA Uniform Tracking.
Once again, I’m pleased to welcome our 4 NCAA trackers, tallying the uniforms worn by the Power 5 conferences.
We’ve got Rex Henry (tracking the ACC & SEC), Dennis Bolt (tracking the PAC-12), Kyle Acker (tracking the Big XII) and Joey Artigue (tracking the B1G).
I’m not sure what happened with Joey yesterday/last evening. I tried repeatedly to reach him via several channels, but I wasn’t able to connect. Unfortunately, there will be no B1G tracking today. I may be in the market for a new B1G tracker for the remainder of the season. Apologies
Rex is up next today:
And now, here’s Dennis with the PAC-12:
Here is your link to the 2015-16 Duck Tracker.
And finally, here is Kyle with the Big XII:
And that’s all for today — thanks Rex, Dennis and Kyle!
Joe Ringham’s 5 & 1
We’re on to week 12 in the NCAA, and there were a bunch of games that might make the list for 5 & 1 decider Joe Ringham.
You may not agree with him, (I rarely agreed with Jimmer Vilk and only occasionally with Catherine), but he’s got his reasons for his picks.
Good Sunday, everyone! Man, was this a good football weekend or what? So many good games, and good looking games, as the regular season hits the last two weeks. Time to see who made the list this week.
5) Western Michigan at Northern Illinois — Wednesday Night MAC-tion looked rather sharp in DeKalb. The Huskies looked good in their black/red/black usual home threads, with a few in red socks. But I really dug the chrome gold/white/brown of the Broncos.
4) Houston at Connecticut — A great looking game in the American, and an upset to boot. The Cougars looked great in red/white/red. But, after not really liking them when they brought them out earlier in the season, the mono-gray set UConn brought out for this looked fantastic in contrast to Houston.
3) Harvard at Yale — The Game is always one of my favorites, and the 132nd edition was no different. Love the classic looks both teams bring out, with Yale going with their usual home white/navy/white against Harvard’s classic crimson/white/cream road look. A classic looking game in the classic setting of the Yale Bowl.
2) Kansas at West Virginia — Probably one of the most colorful games I have seen all season. Really loved the yellow/white/yellow set West Virginia went with. Probably their best look of the season, and it matched up great with the blue/red/gray the Jayhawks went with. Throw in the some November sunshine in Lawrence, and you have probably the Big 12’s most vividly colorful match-up of the season.
1) Baylor at Oklahoma State — I had another game slotted into this slot originally (hint: it’s one of the honorable mentions below). But then I saw this one on TV and my eyes lit up. Love the Bears white/white/green against the orange/black/orange of the Cowboys, especially with the ginormous Pistol Pete on the domes.
+1) Boston College vs Notre Dame — This spot for this week was reserved for this game ever since ND unveiled their costumes back in the summer. I actually really liked BC’s throwbacks here for the game at Fenway. But this is all about the monstrosities the Irish brought out.
++1) Wake Forest at Clemson — At least Clemson waited until the end of the season to bust out one of their more unappealing looks.
Enjoy the week, everyone, and have a great Thanksgiving!
Thanks, Joe! Remember, the tip-line email (UW5and1@gmail.com) is back for any games you want Joe take a look at. Pictures of the game/games you want are very much suggested.
Uni Watch News Ticker
Baseball News: Awwww. Very cool story from Kyle Geralds, who writes, “I had a baby shower today and got a new era 59fifty cap for my future infant son, Henry. I know uni-watch frowns upon excessive merchandising, but in Detroit, the old English D extends beyond sports and is a symbol of regional pride in a region that is shit on by most of the country. I am very proud of that D and happy to receive the cap and dress my baby in a simple ‘D’ and not some cap with the shitty mascot Pawz on it. The reason I am sending it to uni-watch is that…it does not have a squatcho! Which is good for infants who are born with gaps in their skull.” … Check out this shirt done in a Houston Astros tequila sunrise motif, or “Pretty sweet merch by Nashville coffee shop” as noted by David Trett.
College Football News: There will be a new Iron Bowl (Auburn/Alabama) coming next week. Could this be it? (from Clint Richardson). … This is awesome — one of my Twitter buddies (and I think he is a Uni Watcher as well), Clark Ruhland made the commemorative designs for Frank Beamer’s last home game. Well done, Clark!!! … While the Irish wore their “Shamrock Series” unis last night, and those uniforms (like several others worn during the Shamrock Series’ games) had a helmet design, the Irish also had shamrocks on their helmets from 1959-62 during the Joe Kuharich era (h/t Andrew Winn). … And while they didn’t use them for last night’s game, Fenway Park used to have temporary bleachers in front of the Green Monstah (nice find from Jeff Flynn).
Basketball News: After the Golden State Warriors tied the 1957-58 Boston Celtics for the most consecutive wins to start a season (following an NBA Championship), Mike Forde found this interesting Celtics graphic. Never seen that one before. … Virginia Tech basketball coach Buzz Williams wore a Frank Beamer tee shirt tonight vs VMI (from Andrew Cosentino). Here’s an even better shot. … The OK State football teams mascot is the “Cowboys” but the Women’s b-ball team are the “Cowgirls,” as noted by Graham Spell.
Soccer News: “Ahead of El ClÃ¡sico between Barcelona and Real Madrid I wrote a piece about Barcelona’s surging popularity in the USA,” writes David Brand. “I believe Marshalls, Ross and TJ Maxx are responsible for much the clubs popularity because they have flooded the Northeast with cheap, off-brand Barca apparel for years. I’ve bought several pieces of clothing for my brother and myself and I see weird Barca clothing on a daily basis in NYC — most of it comes from Marshalls.” … Whoops: Benfica’s Julio Cesar had his shorts torn after a hard collision (via Mike D.). … New kits for Sacremento Republic FC (h/t Grant Young).
Grab Bag: In a rugby contest yesterday, players on both the Scarlets & Racing 92 wore arm/wrist bands of French flag colors (from Joe Stephens). … “The blue loading bar at the top of my phone’s web browser combined with the Uni-Watch’s green header is a daily reminder of the blue details in the Milwaukee Bucks uniforms,” says Jared. Uh oh — Apparel giants Nike and adidas have found a new arena in which to compete: for the uniforms of high school student athletes in the Eugene School District. … Boxer Miguel Cotto wore his headphones over his hood before his fight with Canelo last night (thanks to Mike Chamernik).
That’s it for today. Thanks to TJ, Rex, Joe, Kyle, and Dennis for their contributions. Paul will be back on Monday with a MMUW and we’ll have some special content for Turkey-day week! Everyone have a great Sunday and I’ll be back soon.
Follow me on Twitter @PhilHecken.
“If the Kardashians can captivate the tabloid world for what seems like a millenia, Marlins Man can have a few years of notoriety.”